Monday, October 02, 2006

Managing molletes

I am finally drifting back into the kitchen. Every couple days has turned into every other day, and I find myself loving the smell of a pork stew with onions and prunes or potato foccacia.

But still, the puking continues. The long list of Things That Must Not Be Eaten (hummus, meat in large chunks, milk, yogurt, cottage cheese, melty cheese, fresh tomatoes and peppers, my toothbrush) is limiting my options, but as we learned in planning grad school, from constraints come opportunities.

For me, this is an opportunity to revisit the staples from years past, when I was picky and cooking was hard. I had forgotten how good these were:



Molletes: a toasted roll (bolillo) spread with refried beans and topped with cotija, that lovely Mexican hard, salty cheese, and run under the broiler. Topped with cilantro and served with salsa, these are fast and good and filling and altogether inoffensive. They are perfect for breakfast with fresh orange juice and milky coffee made with a little cinnamon thrown in with the grounds--for those lucky suckers who can still enjoy the smell of fresh-brewed coffee...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home